I obtained my PhD degree from the University of Utrecht, The Netherlands. My doctoral research focused on the development of novel carrier systems for siRNA delivery to tumor vasculature. In 2011, I started as a postdoctoral researcher at the University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands, to work on extracellular vesicle-inspired drug delivery systems (Schiffelers lab). In 2012, I was awarded a Rubicon fellowship from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research (NWO) to join the Wood lab at the University of Oxford, UK, to study the use of extracellular vesicles for small RNA delivery to tumors. In 2014, I returned to the Schiffelers lab and was awarded a Veni fellowship from NWO to study the mechanisms involved in extracellular vesicle uptake and processing by target cells.
- Study of mechanisms involved in extracellular vesicle uptake and processing by target cells
- Development of extracellular vesicle-inspired drug delivery systems
- Development of novel methods for extracellular vesicle isolation and characterization
Selected publications (for a complete overview, click here)
- Extracellular vesicles: emerging targets for cancer therapy. Vader P, Breakefield XO, Wood MJ. Trends Mol Med. 2014 Jul;20(7):385-93.
- New considerations in the preparation of nucleic acid-loaded extracellular vesicles. Vader P, Kooijmans SA, Stremersch S, Raemdonck K. Ther Deliv. 2014 Feb;5(2):105-7.
- Electroporation-induced siRNA precipitation obscures the efficiency of siRNA loading into extracellular vesicles. Kooijmans SA, Stremersch S, Braeckmans K, de Smedt SC, Hendrix A, Wood MJ, Schiffelers RM, Raemdonck K, Vader P. J Control Release. 2013 Nov 28;172(1):229-38.
- Microvesicles and exosomes: opportunities for cell-derived membrane vesicles in drug delivery. van Dommelen SM, Vader P, Lakhal S, Kooijmans SA, van Solinge WW, Wood MJ, Schiffelers RM. J Control Release. 2012 Jul 20;161(2):635-44.
- Targeted delivery of small interfering RNA to angiogenic endothelial cells with liposome-polycation-DNA particles. Vader P, Crielaard BJ, van Dommelen SM, van der Meel R, Storm G, Schiffelers RM. J Control Release. 2012 Jun 10;160(2):211-6.